Postcards from Barcelona (4)



The second half of our unplanned afternoon led us through the cool back streets of El Born. We've spent hours circling these streets before, and yet it's still something I will always enjoy. Pushing a sleeping toddler we peered down alleyways, noticed new shops and cafes along the way, we marvelled at the unchanged streets and the evidence of people everywhere. 

For all my love of the countryside, cities always draw me in and intrigue me. All the people living their separate lives, literally on top of each other, creating their own stories which weave in and out of their neighbours windows, sharing alleyways and the sunlight that filters through. Each area holds its secrets and treasures waiting to be discovered, changed and challenged through new generations. The history that may have unfolded on those very same streets fascinates me, and all of the changes that have yet to happen, witnessed by all those people who choose to call it home. Barcelona is a fine example of this city life with so much history packed between its walls and the wide range of people marking their place and telling their own stories. 

It is a place to sit back and people watch, and that's how we spent the afternoon. Talking, walking and watching. When Theo eventually woke up, for his naps were long and late whilst on holiday, we retraced our steps to a good looking ice cream place and sat in the square bustling with people to enjoy them. With our tummies still rumbling we headed to an old favourite Pim Pam for a little burger treat. As the evening slowly drew in we headed home, satisfied from our unplanned afternoon spent in the best way possible.

Barcelona, you stole a piece of my heart many years ago, and that piece just keeps on growing. 

Comments

  1. You have me wanting to book tickets! I'm bookmarking this incase we go, as these street looks amazing to wander and I love the plant wall. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What beautiful photos. It lools like an amazing city to explore x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos, I really need a holiday! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're making me want to go to barcelona so so much! and oh my god that ice cream in the last photo looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos - full of life. Your pics have brought back lots of memories. We went to Barcelona in October and loved it...would love to go back! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just went to Barcelona for a day trip, it's so beautiful. I love all the narrow streets. These photos are lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures of the buildings are so poetic. Hoping we make it there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the architecture in other european countries just makes the UK look a bit crap doesn't it! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh every time I see your photos of Barcelona it makes me want to go back. I spent two weeks there in a rented apartment a few years back and loved it, such a vibrant place and I really loved all the street art

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really lovely photos. Isn't it such a good city? My friend used to live there and I was always thinking of reasons to go and visit x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Why not leave a comment?!

Popular Posts