Some news

So, this is a little weird to write since I made a big announcement and told everyone about it, but I've decided not to take the job at the Zoo.

The reason behind this is, is that when I got my contract yesterday I read it through and realised that the job was only seasonal and would end at the beginning of September. I wasn't aware of it being a seasonal job (it wasn't mentioned in the interview, but I think I misunderstood something in the application) and suddenly the job didn't seem so right anymore. I wasn't sure whether it would be worth it to go back to work just for three months. There was no permanent job guaranteed at the end and I wasn't sure whether there would be much point in me working there for such a short period of time, especially with the upheaval it would cause to our routines, which might have been fine if it were permanent, but not for such a short period of time. I feel like I would just get back into working after such a long time, then it would end again.

Also I feel that if I were to just work the summer I would miss out on all the weekends that we could spend out together as a family, and since we've been having such lovely weekends recently, that would make me sad. Also I don't think it would be fair on Theo to put him into a different routine, such as spending the days without me, for it only to go back to normal a short while later. It just doesn't feel right to do that. I know it may have been a foot in the door of a good place to work, but I don't think it's worth taking the risk of nothing coming from it. And I can always apply for a job there again if something permanent comes up, now that I know I can do it!

I said before that if it was right then it was meant to be, but when I realised that it was only temporary it didn't feel right. Rob and I then talked it over, and when we thought that it would be better for me not to take the job, I felt a huge sigh of relief and a bit of a weight lifted off my shoulders. Yes I was excited about the job, but over the week I kept on thinking of spending every weekend away from Rob and Theo, and not being able to spend proper time as a family, which is the most important thing, and it made me sad.

Also financially I'm not sure how much better off it would make us, and it wouldn't really be worth us having to change all of our tax credits and other things, only for them just to take effect, then the job end. That's a whole lot of hassle I'd rather without. I think I'm just going to take this time to enjoy the summer with my family, and make a start on a little project of mine, and perhaps start seriously looking for a job in September, when we will have a better idea of what shift patterns Rob can get and make sure that the job is really right for me, and us.

Yes it would be cool for me to work in the Zoo, and for Theo to visit me there, and enjoy the zoo, but maybe we'll just buy a membership and we can enjoy it together. And plus maybe in the future I could end up working there, as it still interests me. But just not now.

I feel slightly embarrassed writing this post as I pretty much shouted from the rooftops about it in an over excited fashion, but I think we'll just put this one down to experience and move on. As I said in my last post, that if it didn't work out, it wasn't the end of the world, and there will be other, better suited jobs out there. I didn't want to start the job and then it not work out half way through, so this feels better for me.

But thanks for all the support I got anyway!

We're off on our holibobs tomorrow, hooray! 


Popular Posts