the job

So I did it, I went and got myself a little job. The subject of going back to work has been a funny one for me, and when I wrote about it here I definitely wasn't ready to go back to work, and I'm very glad I didn't.

 Up until recently I had no desire to go back to work, especially before Theo was one, and I'm so very happy we made that decision and I spent that time with Theo. But I have been feeling a little bit that I would like at some point to get a little part time job, not many hours, because I have been feeling like I would like to have some time for me,  and to be doing something in my life that doesn't 100% revolve around Theo. Plus the extra money will of course be good. I haven't been avidly job hunting, more casually browsing to see what was out there. I've applied to a few things, but thought that if nothing came of them then it wouldn't be the end of the world, and more than likely it just wasn't right or meant to be. Call me a hippy but I'm a great believer in that if something isn't the right thing or time for you or your family, then it won't happen, but if it is right, then of course it will work.

I have been looking for a job that would just be a few days a week, and would be fairly within my grasp, I wasn't about to start applying for jobs that I had never done before and trying to stretch my already tired out brain. (It still hasn't recovered from pregnancy brain, and it looks doubtful that it ever will, sorry brain) I also wanted to work somewhere fun and hopefully fairly relaxed, and of course one that could somehow benefit our family. I wanted a job that would interest me, and one that I could move in and find other paths through, and I think this one would be great for that.

So the Zoo. I just had a quick look on the Zoo website and saw that, two days before the deadline, they were hiring people for the front of house at the zoo. They were looking for someone to work 16 hours, only two days. That sounded pretty great to me, a job which I knew I could do, good hours and at a fun place that would hopefully enable me to have membership and to take Theo to lots and lots! It ticked quite a few boxes and I thought it would be a great place to try and learn about the different jobs there, and maybe eventually do something else within the company. So I applied. Again it didn't really matter if it didn't work out, I didn't really have anything to lose so I thought I might as well. I got my application in 5 minutes before the deadline! I then got a call the next day for an interview! Quick work.

Then it hit me. I was like 'oh crap, I might actually have to go back to work if I get this'. I thought quite a lot about it and Rob and I talked it over. I do feel ready to go back to work. I want to be doing something for myself and I want to be doing something fun and interesting. And after all it is only two days a week, and I still get to spend a full five with Theo. So I went to the interview, knowing that it wasn't a big deal if I didn't get it. But they gave me a call later that afternoon to say they would like to offer me the job! I was pretty shocked, I thought the interview went well, but wasn't really prepared for the fact that they'd actually want me! It's been quite a while since I last had an interview (September 2010!) and was suprised that I could actually be coherent enough! I was happy and proud of myself that I did it.

The job is going to be working every weekend, 9-5. This will hopefully suit us well, as Rob has some weekends off which means he can look after Theo, and the others hopefully family members can help us out. Which means hopefully we will save on childcare costs. It means that it won't really disrupt my week time routine with Theo which is good and we've also never really had proper 'family' weekends because of Rob's work he's usually always had to work them, so it won't be a massive change. I was a bit worried that I wouldn't really get to spend that much time with Rob, or all three of us, but every week except one (where he only works til 4) he has one day off in the week, so we would still get a day all together, and the evenings too. And this shift pattern might not be forever, where hopefully he can switch so he has a day off every week in the week. We shall see. The thing is, is that I hope it will be alright, but all I can do is just see how it goes, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. There will be other jobs out there if not, but I'm sure it will be fine. Now we just really need to work hard at getting Theo to sleep through the night, so that I can get a good nights sleep, every night. It is possible, we just need to work at it.

The job starts in two weeks, and next week we go on holiday. Good timing if you ask me! I'm going to relish and soak up these last two weeks of being a non working mumma, but am also really excited to get out there into the working world!

It feels like the right thing to do, so fingers crossed it is! But if any working mamas have any advice for me about going back to work/ leaving their child/spending time with your partner that would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

  1. Well done Abi, the job sounds perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Is it wrong to admit I'm a bit jealous? I LOVE the zoo)

    Congratulations! I'm with you on the whole hippy 'if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be'. I'm sure it will be great.

    Good luck, enjoy your holiday xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Why not leave a comment?!

Popular Posts