Names

Since I'm on a weird obsessive streak at the moment, I thought I would share with you the baby names that I like.

So girls names:

Orla
Orla \o-rla, or-la\ is pronounced OR-lah. It is of Irish, Gaelic and Celtic origin, and the meaning of Orla is "golden queen".

Alma
Alma is a variant of the name Amalia, meaning 'nourishing', 'kind', 'imitating', 'rivaling' (Latin), 'girl', 'secret', 'maiden' (Hebrew), 'soul' (Italian) and 'work' (Gothic).

Arwen
From Celtic origin meaning 'berry, fruit' this name is chiefly used in Welsh.

Leila
The girl's name Leila \le(i)-la\ is pronounced LEE-lah, LAY-lah, LYE-lah. It is of Arabic origin, and the meaning of Leila is "night beauty". Used by authors for the names of exotic female characters in the early 19th century. The name is popular in the Middle East.

and for a middle name I really like

Iona
Predominately used in English and Scottish, meaning 'violet' and 'island'.


And for boys names:

Noah
A biblical name meaning 'comfort' or 'rest'. Hebrew

Rohan
From Celtic origin meaning little ruddy one, little red-haired one

Evan
The anglicized form of the Welsh Iefan, derived from the name John, meaning 'god has given' or 'god is gracious'. Hebrew

Arthur (my mums favourite)
From the words 'art' - means 'stone' or 'artus' which means 'bear'. Celtic

Alfie
Mainly used in the English and Spanish languages, the name 'Alfie' means 'noble and ready'. Gothic

And for a middle name:

Reid
A variation of the popular Scottish name Reed, refering to the plants of the same name or the color red, or 'cleared land'. English



Comments

  1. Hi Abbi,
    What a nice list of names. Just for your information; Alma also means "soul" in spanish :)
    Jits*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and then I made myself ridiculous... didn't read the Italien one. Don't mind me! Have a great day! Jits*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote Orla-Iona as a name if its a girl...
    Or Alfie Reid if its a boy.. Or Noah Reid...

    I WANT A BOY!

    love you
    sarie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite want Alfie or Ruben so please don't choose both. Jonah is mine. Good listing. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEY! Jonah is MINE actually so bog off Sarie.... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. tilly, i guess that's you. you can have both alfie and ruben, as discussed with various people the names remind them of people they would rather not be reminded of.

    and you can all calm down about jonah, i don't think we will be choosing it, bit if in the very slight possibility we do, you both should have got preggers first innit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oi get back in your basket Sally! Twas not me! It reminds me of the Jonas Bro's so I'll keep my stinky hands off.
    I love Alfie and want you to call the bebe that!
    <3
    Sarie

    ReplyDelete
  8. like i said, if you wanted a name, should've thought about it and popped one out before now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where's Rob Roy?

    We gotta get down to business.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Why not leave a comment?!

Popular Posts