montessori at home

This weekend it was so sunny that we spent most of Saturday in the garden, stripped down with the hose out. It inspired me to get some objects out and have a play with some water practising some montessori methods at the same time!

We used jugs, a ladle, a sponge, building blocks, marbles, washing up liquid, a brush, a whisk and of course the hose. I didn't really do much leading with this, just a few hints here and there, and Theo experimented and played how he wanted.

 He transferred water to different jugs by pouring and using the ladle, and sponge. Then had a go at squirting washing up liquid and using the whisk to make bubbles.

 We had a little look at what objects we thought would sink and float, and Theo decided to give his toys a good wash!
Theo did more pouring, mixing, pumping, spraying and just generally had so much fun. He sat and played for over half an hour, content to experiment and splash about. If they (or you!) don't mind getting a little wet, setting up something like this is a perfect way to discover and use lots of different skills. I know we'll be doing this all summer! 

Comments

  1. I love this series by the way. Thanks it has given me ideas to do with S. I miss your charity shop series by the way too if you ever what to do more!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes more charity shop stuff please! If you could expand to bootfairs and jumble sales taht would be brilliant
      xxx

      Delete
    2. I miss it too, haven't been charity shop shopping for quite a while now! And boot fairs yes!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of setting out activities for the garden! looking forward to summer! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah this looks like a fun day. Ebony loves the paddling pool, I can't wait for the good weather to start so we can head into the pool for some pouring fun!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that looks so fun. I always get a bit nervous letting T pour his own drinks or milk, but actually he's quite good. Practice makes perfect and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mine have been playing out with the water tray this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherry loves playing with water! I'm in the process of making a water table thing actually for the Summer, hoping it will keep both kids entertained while I relax ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah this looks like fun. Talitha loves "helping" me do the washing up but I should set something out in the garden for her to do. I love the idea of thinking about what will sink and what will float. We try to integrate some Montessori principles into our home environment so I'm loving seeing how you're doing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't do nearly enough water play. This looks great and as if Theo is having a super fun time! Bring on the sunshine for outdoor fun x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. My kids love water play too. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. We just love water here (and mud). Never thought to add marbles though, great idea. Such beautiful photos in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be my 2 year old's idea of heaven!! I love that it's getting warmer now so that it's possible to do activities like this outside.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Why not leave a comment?!

Popular Posts