gluten free lemon polenta cake

Since attempting to be gluten free in most of our diet we have obviously seen a dramatic drop in tasty treats, a bit better for our waistlines perhaps, but not so good for options when baking together.

I love any cake that has lemon in it, and will often if there is the option when out, opt for a polenta cake as I love it, but have never attempted to make it at home. So this morning when we fancied baking together I decided it was time to try!

Method

  1. Line the base of a 23cm / 9inch springform cake tin with baking parchment and grease its sides lightly with butter.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4/ 350°F.
  3. Beat the butter and sugar till pale and whipped, either by hand in a bowl with a wooden spoon, or using a freestanding mixer.
  4. Mix together the almonds, polenta and baking powder, and beat some of this into the butter-sugar mixture, followed by 1 egg, then alternate dry ingredients and eggs, beating all the while.
  5. Finally, beat in the lemon zest and pour, spoon or scrape the mixture into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
  6. It may seem wibbly but, if the cake is cooked, a cake tester should come out cleanish and, most significantly, the edges of the cake will have begun to shrink away from the sides of the tin. remove from the oven to a wire cooling rack, but leave in its tin.
  7. Make the syrup by boiling together the lemon juice and icing sugar in a smallish saucepan.
  8. Once the icing sugar’s dissolved into the juice, you’re done.
  9. Prick the top of the cake all over with a cake tester (a skewer would be too destructive), pour the warm syrup over the cake, and leave to cool before taking it out of its tin.

It was a fairly easy cake to make, especially if you use a food processor like we did! Theo loves to help and I actually let him do the main share of the cooking with me just guiding, and he's getting so good at cracking eggs, check out that one handed action - and no shell! And it tasted delicious too! 

Comments

  1. Wow this looks great and brilliant that Theo is doing so much of the cooking. F has just helped me cook some Banana muffins which were quite tasty. I know where to go for Polenta cake in future! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, this looks tasty, and i've never tried polenta! always good to find new GF dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't care what this cake actually tastes like - I love these photos so much I would make it just for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving how involved Theo gets - it's so important to get them cooking :) Fab post, and i'm pinning the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds sooo good - I love Polenta so much and there is a coffeeshop near me that does a vegan polenta cake which I am still trying to work out - this looks lovely think we may have a go at it this weekend - I want to jump through the computer and eat some :)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum is gluten free and i would love to make her this! Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Why not leave a comment?!

Popular Posts