Carrot cake cupcakes

As requested I'm posting the recipe to the carrot cake cupcakes I had the sudden urge to make late last night. In not sure why I wanted to bake, but bake I did!


I can't really take any credit for this recipe as its just based on this one and was actually my first time baking carrot cake cupcakes. I love carrot cake and in cupcake form? Perfect. Plus we had lots of carrots that needed to be used up. Now I'm no expert baker, but I do have to give myself a big pat on the back because these turned out delicious! The icing is a bit messy, but that's what you get for icing at 10.30 in the evening!

So here you go:

Ingredients
175g brown muscovado sugar
200g self raising flour (the original recipe calls for wholemeal self raising, but I didn't have any so just used normal white)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice
zest 1 orange
2 eggs 
150ml sunflower oil
200g carrots, grated
pecan nuts for the top (walnuts may be better but pecans is all I had!)

Icing
100g butter
300g cream cheese
100g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
(I didn't have enough cream cheese, so added 100g more butter to substitute, but would be better with the proper amount of cream cheese)

Method
  1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases. In a food processor or large bowl, mix the sugar, flours, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and orange zest. Whisk together the eggs and oil, then stir into the dry ingredients with the grated carrot. Divide the mixture between cases and bake for 20-22 mins until a skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before icing.
  2. For the icing, beat the butter until really soft, then beat in the soft cheese, icing sugar and vanilla. Use a knife to swirl the icing on the cakes then put a pecan nut on top to finish off!
Sorry I didn't take any photos of the process, wasn't planning on posting this! But it's super easy, and super delicious!


I didn't get a chance to eat one last night, but this morning Rob brought me one with a cup of tea in bed, lovely! And then I might have accidentally had another one with another cup of tea whilst Theo was napping...whoops.


enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts