Montessori at home: Days of the week and simple addition

montessori at home days of the week

So it's been a very long while since I've posted one of these, so today I'm going to do two! 

Ever since we bought Theo some days of the weeks pants and socks he's been obsessed with asking what day it is and trying to figure out the order so I thought it would be a good idea to practice with him. He's getting really good at recognising letters to and learning to read and sound them out so this was a pretty good exercise in phonics and reading too. It's a pretty simple game, and could obviously just be used as a matching game with the colours for younger children too. 

I just asked him to find the matching stick and then we sounded out the letters and talked about what came next! 

montessori at home days of the week
montessori at home days of the week
montessori at home days of the week

Theo's also very into counting. He loves counting everything, from people to paving slabs to food to toys etc. We showed him how to add two values together by using objets to count and then add them altogether so I thought I'd try it with marbles and different figures written on the cards. He picked two values at random and then counted out each separate value into a bowl and then we added them together at the end. When we found our answer we searched for the correct number card. 

montessori at home counting and addition
montessori at home counting and addition
montessori at home counting and addition
montessori at home counting and addition
montessori at home counting and addition

Comments

  1. I love these posts. The counting one is such a good idea, I might try that with E later, she's started adding things up a bit so I reckon she might enjoy this one x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas! Def going to do the days of the week one with Cherry, we haven't done those yet x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Montessori posts! Elfie is really into the days of the week at the moment too so I'll definitely try her with this one x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I always love these posts - such simple and fantastic ideas and I love the use of marbles for basic maths! Going to try this with my little man - thanks for sharing Abigail :)


    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha we got Wilf some days of the week pants too and they have weirdly made me a bit neurotic! I can't put the wrong day of the week pants on him, it's like an OCD! Glad we didn't go for socks too (anyway that's a random aside) this looks like a fun idea! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea!! must file these away for Vega ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that idea with the marbles. Must try this with Bea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try to do more I think, they are always so useful to look back on when we need an activity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oo good luck, would love to see any pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hah I know what you mean, its a little stressful when they aren't all washed and in order!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you! hope he likes it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its funny how they go through obsessions with things like this isn't it?! Thank you though, I really like doing them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! Days of the week is a good one, not sure when to start seasons and months - might be a way off for those!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hah love good old lolly sticks - so handy! I just sort of think about what Theo is expressing an interest in himself and look at what material we have around and just go with it. He usually suggests things too and I set up little activities for him to try and often we change them as we go along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you! Theo is obsessed with adding things up so think it is a good one for them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such brilliant ideas...particularly love the counting marbles one. Will have to keep these ideas in mind for the future! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will have to try the marbles idea - looks fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Why not leave a comment?!

Popular Posts